Skip to main content

A Vulnerable Species

The Yellow Rail is highly secretive, the Red-Headed Woodpecker nests in dead or dying trees, the Southern Flying squirrel  is capable of gliding 50 yards between trees.  These are all vulnerable species, all needing protection because they are vital elements of our biodiversity.  Without them, we'll all be a little less resilient as an ecosystem.

*

The other night, I accepted an invitation to a house concert. I had never been to one before, and I was intrigued. The artist was Tanya Davis.  I have long admired her work from afar and now, finally, I was up close.  My favourite (which she played that night) is Art.  She is most famous though for How to be Alone (see above).

The night of the house concert, we were ushered into my friend's cosy and beautiful cottage, festooned with fairy lights and we snuggled in to hear Tanya sing.

Tanya is a delicate singer and writer.  She speaks and sings of her acceptance of being vulnerable in a world of heart break, and 9-5 jobs, that can (and does) harden many other hearts. With her sweet words and smile, she invites you to do the same, in whatever measure you can muster.

Her music made me take stock of a lot of things in that cosy cocoon, but most of all I came away with the thought, artists are essential to our life blood.  Art innoculates us against fear and stress and cruelty.  Artists, like Tanya, often produce their best work when they choose to put themselves into delicate, precarious states, right on a line between danger and safety.  She volunteers to be a vulnerable species. She does this for art, but also to help us all stay as resilient as possible.



The song I loved loved loved that night is one I want sung at my funeral: Don't Bury Me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo