Skip to main content

Everyone is a suspect.

Readjusting to a new school year takes a lot out of a kid and a parent.
New teacher(s), a new configuration of students, new friends, old friends who become more distant, old classmates who become deputized as potential friends.

It is a little jarring having to grasp a whole new slew of subtleties that your mind had learned to gloss over by the end of June a few short months before.

To rest in between days at school, my children are turning to us more than usual for comfort in the form of being read to, which can fall by the wayside when they are feeling more sure of things.
They also like to watch a show with one of us.  Dog tired, getting back into the routine, I am less tolerant of their choices and I have been inflicting my own, especially on my daughter.

We've started watching Midsomer Murders, a classic British "whodunit", on Netflix.
Other than a ghastly murder near the beginning the rest of the shows are a relatively monotonous enterprise of eliminating suspects one by one.  For a pastoral place, people sure get murdered a lot.
The detective, and the audience, observe each character for clues for motive.  We talk through out the show about our theories. We intently watch and ruminate over the behaviour of the twitchy shopkeeper who keeps looking over his shoulder, the weepy widow, the antique dealer who looks sinister when she is dusting the teacups, and the custodian of the cemetery who sweeps a little too efficiently.

Maybe she killed the butler, or maybe she's really angry and grumpy for another reason, maybe she is really kind and fun-loving or maybe she's really got a nasty temper.

As my daughter navigates a new terrain at school and finds her footing, watching "whodunits" with her mother is practically homework.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo