Skip to main content

Vespers*

This weekend we spent a lot of time getting reacquainted with our daughter after she was away for a whole week at camp.  I say re-acquainted because it was her first experience of re-entry. You know, that period when you return from a trip or from an intense experience, and you see things slightly differently than you did before you left?


I knew enough to be low key when we picked her up. I have a bad habit of being too demonstrative at reunions and overwhelming her.

Slowly but surely, she told us about her experiences.

At the end of each day, they had vespers*. 

She insisted that it wasn't church, it was a fun, kid's version of church. You sing a song and do a skit around a fire.

Although we grew up in the church, we don`t regularly go now. It was reassuring to me to know that she had time away from electronic devices, tv and media. She had time to be outside under the stars, sitting around a fire, and having a chance to listen to nothing but her own voice sing out loud. 

This beautiful music of Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu-Wiyathui brought me close to tears. Take a listen.

ves·per (source dictionary.com)

  [ves-per] 
noun
1.
initial capital letter the evening star, especially Venus; Hesper.
2.
Also called vesper bell. a bell rung at evening.
3.
vespers, sometimes initial capital letter Ecclesiastical .
a.
a religious service in the late afternoon or the evening.
b.
the sixth of the seven canonical hours, or the service for it, occurring in the late afternoon orthe evening.
c.
Roman Catholic Church a part of the office to be said in the evening by those in major orders,frequently made a public ceremony in the afternoons or evenings of Sundays and holy days.
d.
4.
Archaic. evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo