Skip to main content

Coin Operated

In a post-coin operated world, it is getting trickier and trickier to deal in cash.  As we all know, transactions without cash have a cost, an actual fee for moving the virtual money around, and the costs we incur by being more oblivious about the actual amount of our money (or the bank's money) we're shifting around.  However, I have also started to wonder how a cashless society is understood by my kids.

Recently, we had a fun time playing with friends in a river that necessitated a trip to the laundromat to dry out our shoes.  The coin slot happily took our money, even though it didn't always reciprocate by actually starting when we pressed the button. I couldn't help but think that it was rare moment of my kids observing and participating in a coin transaction.

Their experience with payphones is limited and they have only occasionally seen me use one. My daughter asked me if I knew what penny candy was.  She told me she was studying it in social studies.  They were very disappointed last time they had a lemonade stand because everyone claimed they had no change.  Monopoly is starting to feel a bit anachronistic.

It made me think that it is getting harder to explain the concept of money to my kids.  Slippery and uphill at the best of times, the challenge of teaching my kids money management is compounded because the concept of how money works is changing.  They are eager to earn money and spend it (of course), but when we recently explained that a cheque written to my daughter would be cashed and used on vacation, it caused a lot of stress and misunderstandings for her.  In her mind, she never actually had $50 in her hand, and now, even though she had fun doing what she did with the money, it never literally passed through her hands either.  Are we raising our kids to participate in a cashless economy?...an economy that is still going to require prudence and judgement, just like the one governed by paper and coin money, but without the smaller change to help solidify and help them to manipulate and work out the basic concepts on their own terms.

We have a piggy bank, although it rarely contains anything.  Should we teach our kids to fill it, and keep it filled or download an app and teach them how to monitor their quarters and dimes virtually?

For another spin on this subject, I thought this was pretty funny!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo