Skip to main content

Lists Serve

Since technology has stepped up its hold on me over the past ten years, I have been resorting to new list keeping tactics.

Before, I used to stick to envelopes, bits of paper, old scraps or officially designated "Erin" stationary.  Now, I've got lists in more places, in multiple formats.  I have a running shopping list in the online bookstore Chapters.  I have never really gone all the way and actually ordered books, but I do regularly consult it when I order (and often never subsequently pick up) the books at the library.  In turn, the list of previous holds on my online library account is yet another list of books I hope to read someday.

I also have about 25 lists in my iphone.  Some are old and out of date, it appears that I needed both bacon and marshmallows on February 8th. Of course I did, (when don't I need bacon and marshmallows?).

I regularly email myself a reminder of things to do or buy or remember that I refuse to open until the task is done--its bolded title haunting me until I pick up cat food.

My daughter and I have a regular ritual on Saturdays (or Sundays if I'm feeling super burned out on Saturday) where I make a "lesson plan" (a.k.a list of things we'll do at home school) and then she proceeds to follow it.   I have about half a dozen of them saved in my phone.  Here is one she wrote back in December:


School
Art
Reading
Dobbels
Spelling
Witing
Juleary
Chose time
Snack time
Sent from my iPhone


I discovered this lovely list the other day when I was picking things up in her bedroom.




Undoubtedly, when they invent the job of computer archaeologist, they will have a whole lot of shopping carts, emails sent to oneself and text messages to sift through and decipher. Auto correct will add an extra cryptic layer.

After all, what does "Room 517 3:13 Sohel surges" mean?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo