Skip to main content

Human Doing

"Parents need to teach their kids to balance human doing with human being,"  Paula Bloom (Clinical Psychologist)
...but first parents need to learn how to be a being and not just be a doing being.

I struggle not doing stuff.  I feel lazy and unproductive and guilty.  However, the more I do, the less I know about myself. I excuse myself from asking myself difficult questions and making icky decisions by keeping in perpetual motion.  

I am trying to try less.  I am walking more places, making more decisions in the shower, sitting down and reading a book when I feel like it, especially when there are a lot of demands being made of me. Stopping what I'm doing and taking pictures of a stack of painted rocks.

In a recent Highlights magazine that my daughter got, there was a great story called "The Lazy Day".  The parents (and the grandparents) and the kids did not do ANYTHING. They did not even read or watch a show or play a game or garden or do chores.  They just sat around all day long and watched bugs and butterflies and ate cheese and bread (no cooking allowed).   It was so inspiring.  

Each weekend comes along with fresh demands to "make plans".  "Making plans" in some ways makes things easier.  There is a plan. It is discernible and check offable, accomplishable, but in the end we only feel more tired, less energised and we are all too often left with a tiny wedge of dread as we begin a new week.

We want to encourage our kids to look inside for solutions, all the while we are distracted and running outwards towards the next goal post.

I guess I've got some being to do.  Preferably in a semi-reclined position, watching the sun come up or the sea go out.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo