Skip to main content

Just put diet in the title.

I published my first post on this blog on November 30, 2011.
It has been fun. I'm still enjoying checking where hits come from, Saudia Arabia, Malaysia, Sweden, Russia, Brazil...I'm still having fun letting my brain hang open to ideas from the trees, from my growing kids and from all the places I had never thought of before.
When I don't write I miss it and when I do write, I start to feel like myself again. Right away I started to realize that that had been a hole that needed filling.

I chose to start blogging because I needed an outlet to express myself, I had only tinkered with public, creative outlets for the past 15 years, and I felt the need to create a venue.

I am learning and seeing and noticing new things each new day by doing this, things that I hadn't had a space to explore for a very long while.  In fact, my focus on my kids and the process of raising them and the creative terrain of childhood is interesting to me because in many respects I feel like I had put a lot of creative projects on hold since childhood.

Here are a few things that I am learning and have learned during this first year of blogging.

Put "diet" in the title and watch the views pile up.

Write what you know and before you know it you will find out something new about something you thought you knew.

Write, write even if you don't think you have a thing to say, because guess what, you do. It is fun to find out what.   Sometimes writing , at first just a glop of random words, feels like plunging into cold dark water. I am initially disoriented but then I start noticing tiny fish glinting and darting right in front of me swimming towards a bright blue grotto*.

I am still writing even though I realize that I am not always doing my best work.  I have made this decision because too many times before I have overlooked the process and spent too much time agonizing over the end product.  That approach has really put a damper on my creativity.

I am still writing also because I have noticed that the more you create, the more ideas come and the less it seems silly to be doing it.  I also am appreciating other people's work a lot more and in new, unexpected ways.

When I am listening to someone play guitar and sing, I so wish I could do the same that I literally twitch. I wake up from dreams where I have been singing my heart out to an audience of hundreds.  Once I begin to write, typing and writing starts to feel like I am singing. Projecting my voice out into a darkened theatre full of people. I stop twitching, my lungs fill with air.



*a subterranean passage, chamber.

Comments

  1. at grotto, i was in it... :)
    puts me in mind that maybe i should just start writing. . . may be. glad you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo