Skip to main content

Experts on Being Experts

When anyone becomes an authority, that is the end of him as far as development is concerned. (1948) Frank Lloyd Wright



Do you consider yourself an expert in something? Have you been called one before? Recently, I was.  Instead of feeling full of pride, I felt deflated and stuck. I had to ask myself why.

Well, for one thing, the term expert is so loosely used that we all get to be one, one way or another.  Lately, I've been noticing the term "expert" increasingly being bandied about in my work but also at dinner parties, thrown around in a half joking/ half serious way of describing a person's knowledge.  

Secondly, experts are not necessarily that accurate or reliable.  I myself flat out refuse to learn some things because I reason an expert is already doing all the heavy lifting in that area and they can think it through for me.  As it turns out, when I watched the Doc Zone's documentary, The Trouble with Experts , I am not the only one.   The documentary examines our cultural obsession with enshrining experts.  We trust them, but as the documentary points out, they are more often than not, sharing fallacious opinions and predictions.

As my peers gain experience in their respective fields, I hear us being told that "you are the experts".  "You know what needs to be done, etc..." The term is used to establish who has authority and should be granted more authority over a certain jurisdiction of knowledge or information or understanding and this has troubled me for a while.  Experts know.  They do not struggle to understand.  The people we hear from on t.v. tell us in sound bites what we supposedly need to digest to understand.  But what if our area of expertise is not easily digestible.  What if being an expert cuts us off from deepening our overall knowledge of the subject?  Who would want to be one then?

Finally, what I do not like the most about the term expert is that it sets up a polarising image of us and them.  "Us", who get it and "them" who don't.  I do not believe knowledge and gaining more of it should be a have or have not proposition, but rather a never ending river flowing through trees, under dark spooky bridges and out into the wide open sea.  There is plenty of room for of all of us in that flowing current.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo