Skip to main content

Beasts of the Southern Wild


The other night I saw a movie that seeped so deeply into me, I continue to leak.  Perhaps it was all the flooding and potential flooding that was depicted. Or perhaps it was all the potential ideas that were birthed into my brain as I watched and images that started out ugly and were transformed into beautiful ones. It's a movie called Beasts of the Southern Wild. Right from the very first scene,  where the young heroine, Hushpuppy, constructs a bird's nest out of mud, you are thrust into a place of both grubby decay and flourishing beauty. The location, called the Bathtub, is initially hard to pinpoint. It is muddy and filthy and full of rotting things, but as you go along you start to recognize that it is somewhere in Louisiana.  It depicts life in a  community, marginalized by choice, through the eyes of a young girl.  Although grim and disgusting, the place is very much a place of joy and survival.  Hushpuppy explains that "The Bathtub has more holidays than the whole rest of the world".  

Her voice helps you navigate this world you have not been to before.  Mostly fable, she lives in a community that only has one time, and that time is NOW.  She searches for her mother and is raised in a community, though decrepit and threatened with flooding at anytime, that is loving and that fosters a oneness with the natural world.  It is very hard to explain and I think that is down to the immediacy it forces you into.  Through the child's eyes you see a world without watches, but the adults live without them too.  The only markers that bring familiarity are oil refineries, seen far off in the distance, that you never see up close and they seem so alien in this environment of catching and eating fish directly out of the ocean with your hands.

Later, when members of the community are temporarily extracted out of this environment, the world we are used to seeing seems like a "fish tank without water" to Hushpuppy.

Others, like Roger Ebert, do a great job of reviewing it so I won't do that. I'll just encourage you to see it. It is a brilliant movie because it has the bravery to make you see things that are squirmy and challenging and yet they cast a spell that allows you the freedom to draw whatever you wish from it.  By forcing you into the moment of now, you bear witness to the implications of Hushpuppy coming to terms with her father's illness and her place in the world.

"The whole universe depends on everything fitting together just right. If one piece busts, even the smallest piece... the entire universe will get busted."-Hushpuppy, Beasts of the Southern Wild 2012




"Once there was a Hushpuppy, and she lived with her daddy in the Bathtub."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo