Skip to main content

In Suspension.

Anybody can be good in the country. There are no temptations there.
-Oscar Wilde

We lived in suspension* last week.
Suddenly, there was time, where no time could be found before, to paint and put beads on string. We were suspended in fluid.  Suspended in a fluid called The Atlantic Ocean.


suspension [səˈspÉ›nʃən] n
1. an interruption or temporary revocation the suspension of a law  YES, definitely
2. a temporary debarment, as from position, privilege, etc.  Yep.
3. a deferment, esp of a decision, judgment, etc.   At times
4. (Law) Law
a.  a postponement of execution of a sentence or the deferring of a judgment, etc.
b.  a temporary extinguishment of a right or title    New rules definitely applied.
5. (Economics, Accounting & Finance / Banking & Finance) cessation of payment of business debts, esp as a result of insolvency      er....
6. the act of suspending or the state of being suspended   Check.
7. (Engineering / Automotive Engineering) a system of springs, shock absorbers, etc., that supports the body of a wheeled or tracked vehicle and insulates it and its occupants from shocks transmitted by the wheels    That was the whole point!
8. (Physics / General Physics) a device or structure, usually a wire or spring, that serves to suspend or support something, such as the pendulum of a clock                 ...by day 5.
9. (Chemistry) Chem a dispersion of fine solid or liquid particles in a fluid, the particles being supported by buoyancy See also colloid                         ...I forgot about floating.
10. (Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) the process by which eroded particles of rock are transported in a river      Transported where is the question.
11. (Music, other) Music one or more notes of a chord that are prolonged until a subsequent chord is sounded, usually to form a dissonance    The subsequent chord sounded yesterday.  Yep, it formed dissonance.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo