Skip to main content

Garden of your mind


My friend helped me discover this awesome remix of Mr. Rogers' song, "Garden of your Mind".  It's original message, so simple and yet powerful, comes through brimming with extra oomph and crackle by way of this delightful mash up.

I also just came across this thoughtful piece, For Mr. Rogers on his birthday,written by Pensive Person on opensalon.com which speaks to the impact Mr. Rogers had on a generation (or more) of preschoolers and our need for a similar leader and leadership style in these new, uncertain times. Both pieces reminded me about this leader that was often ridiculed and, unfortunately, not aspired to enough.

Mr. Rogers was gentle, graceful and curious, all attributes we don't even always look for in a leader, and then we wonder why our leaders disappoint us so. What qualities are we looking for anyway?


*Mister Rogers remixed by Symphony of Science's John Boswell for PBS Digital Studios, as seen on youtube.


Fred Rogers had it going on.  Nourish your neighbour, he said, take care of others and yourself and grow through curiosity.  He said, “It's not the honors and the prizes and the fancy outsides of life which ultimately nourish our souls. It's the knowing that we can be trusted, that we never have to fear the truth, that the bedrock of our very being is good stuff. 


His persistent belief in the awesome potential of little humans emerging into the great big world did not have to be flashy or strobe lighty to be revolutionary.  We little humans grew up and some of us have little kids to raise and nuture, he led us to know that we were worthwhile so we could grow up and be able to do the same for our wee companions and others in our lives.


What little seeds are we planting in those little gardens?









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo