Skip to main content

Peace Force

My daughter first expressed an interest in becoming a police officer after a police woman came to her preschool to talk about her job.  When she came home, she explained with great earnestness that police "help dead people".  Her interest in law enforcement was not entirely a surprise since she really likes to be clear about what is right and what is wrong, but when we dug a little, it turned out that the thing she liked the most was "her voice".  Her interest in policing endured.  Having only ever wanted to be a teacher, or a helicopter pilot (remember Danger Bay?) or a dancing missionary (I'll tell you about that one another time) myself, I could not really relate.  She, and later her brother, continued to enjoy games with their friends involving putting people in jail (usually their Dad) and taking turns being police officer #1 and police office #2.  

This has changed a bit, ever since my mother introduced my daughter to a great book called Wangari's Trees of Peace about the activist Wangari Maathai who won the Nobel Peace Prize for her work fighting deforestation in Kenya.  In the story, the writer tells about how Wangari even went to jail for her beliefs.  This made a big impression on my daughter.  She told me about the story (that she had already read several times by this point) and made it known that it is indeed possible to go to jail for doing the right thing not just for doing something wrong.

This interest in making sense of questions of justice, and right and wrong is understandable to me now as I begin to realize that these concept are among the one that they grapple with the most at this stage in their lives.  My youngest is now starting to tackle these concepts too.  Just the other day, he said, "if adults use bad words, they go to jail, right?"  Well...(sigh),... I certainly hope not!

Here is a lovely story told by Wangari, who passed away last year, about working for peace:

Comments

  1. I can totally relate to Danger Bay and the teacher bit, but a dancing missionary is one I'll need to hear more about! :)

    Your daughter has an enlightened soul, I think, Erin. The video is powerful too, but in a way that children can grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, dancing missionaries, that is a post all on its own : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like there's a new book on the list... thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo