Skip to main content

Inspiration

Is it a formula? Is it a trick of the light?  Does it come from emptying out or filling up? Is it brought about by chance, exercise, time alone or time together?  What gets your motor running when it comes to creative projects?  This recent article in the The Guardian by Laura Barnett features 20 creative people from the worlds of culture, art, music, film and theatre answering the same question: what gives you creative inspiration?

My favourite answer is by Wayne McGregor, Choreographer
-Do    
-Empty    
-Panic  
-Forage  
-Generate 
-Embody     
-Edit    
-Decide   
-Persist 
-Practise

I like these ones too:

 I go through messy phases and tidy phases. Being messy during a tidy phase is never good, and vice versa. -Susan Philipsz, artist

Don't wait for a good idea to come to you. Start by realising an average idea – no one has to see it. If I hadn't made the works I'm ashamed of, the ones I'm proud of wouldn't exist. -Polly Morgan, artist


Get an alarm with a long snooze function and set it early. Shallow-sleep dreams have been the source of many of my best ideas (sadly, small children are no respecters of prospective genius). -Rupert Goold, director

The little images that I get from sitting alone in my apartment – the way the light is falling through the window; the man I just saw walk by on the other side of the street – find their way into snatches of lyrics. I write in short spurts – for five, 10, 15 minutes – then I pace around the room, or go and get a snack.  -Martha Wainwright, singer-songwriter


As for me, I guess I'd have to say, a clean kitchen,accompanied by sunshine streaming onto the table puts me in a good head space for creating things.  Walking to work lets me process things inside my head and hold onto those half-remembered dreams.  My number one source of inspiration is observing my kids' approach to creative projects.

How about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing it out.

Since 2020, I have written the following: -grandiose grocery lists (written on an empty stomach) that often end up getlting left behind at home -funding proposals -delicately worded emails -harried Whatsapp messages -a slew of facebook messages (that basically kept me alive) -a tinder profile or two... -utilitarian text messages -heart felt text messages -the very occasional love note (on paper) to a friend or a loved one The things I have not written since 2020: -a journal -a multi-page handwritten letter -a play -a sketch -a novel -more than 2-3 blog posts that I didn't even publish -a pros and cons list

Playing School

Proper Cry

Photo Source:  thesetingstaketime.com  via  Stephanie  on  Pinterest I love to laugh.  I love laughing so hard I lose  control.  I love that release.    For this reason and lots of others, I could not wait to see the blockbuster, Bridesmaids last summer.  Everyone told me, "you are going to pee yourself. It is so FUNNY." And yes, I almost did pee myself, but I also cried through almost the entire last half of the movie.  I did not laugh so hard I cried, I just plain sobbed. I felt really sad watching the story of two friends come to terms with how their friendship was changing.  I was really surprised by my reaction after all the hype about how hilarious the movie was, but I knew why.  The brilliance of this movie was how life can be so hilarious and painful at the same time.    Yesterday, I was on a social networking site and one of the people I follow mentioned that she cried "proper tears" upon reading a story about a woman's tragic childhoo